Friday, May 19, 2023

Les Andelys

After yesterday’s long day, it was nice to sleep in and be lazy as we sailed from Rouen to Les Andelys. I did manage to attend the disembarkation briefing, but that was about it! 

In the early afternoon, we docked in Les Andelys, where Tim and I had signed up for the Château Gaillard Walking Tour. Since I was still having trouble with my knee, I knew I’d never make the climb. Viking also offered a leisurely tour, which Tim joined, but I decided to skip that one also and just wander around town on my own. 

From the ship, I still had a good view of Château Gaillard, which overlooks the village from its hilltop location. Said to be one of the most dramatic sights along the Seine between the coast and Paris, this stronghold was built in the twelfth century by Richard the Lionheart of England, who was also Duke of Normandy.

Château Gaillard

The castle is visible from almost everywhere in town, and days later I happened to notice it in a painting that Tim and I saw when we visited the Musée d’Orsay. The painting was titled Les Andelys. La Berge, and the artist was Paul Signac. None of the photographs I had taken captured the same scene, and I don’t even know if the buildings in the painting are still standing, but it was still fun to make the connection.

Les Andelys. La Berge, by Paul Signac, and a Similar Location Today

Les Andelys sits on a bend in the Seine River, and I enjoyed my little walk around the charming old town. I admired the architecture and even spotted an unusual door with carved faces on the ends of the decorative molding on the door surround – one angry and one happy!

Navigating a Bend in the Seine River at Les Andelys

The Architecture of Les Andelys

What a Face(s)!

Since the front door was open, I decided to visit Petit Andely Saint Sauveur Church, which was constructed to serve the many workers who built Château Gaillard. Luckily, the church was spared during the siege of the castle and burning of the town in 1203. As I was looking around the interior, I happened to notice stained glass windows that were decidedly modern. I usually don’t focus on the religious scenes on most stained glass windows, but these definitely caught my eye.

Since my visit to the church, I have learned that the original windows in the side nave were destroyed during World War II. The replacement windows that I saw were designed by Max Ingrand, a noted French modern designer and glassworker who was one of the most sought-after glassmakers for the restoration of churches after the war. The windows in the church in Les Andelys picture the Stations of the Cross.

Petit Andely Saint Sauveur Church

Stained-Glass Windows by Max Ingrand

Before returning to the ship, I happened to look in the window of one of the shops, went inside, and left with a unique sweater and scarf. So much for not shopping on this trip! 

As we cast off from Les Andelys, Tim and I joined everyone in the Lounge for the Viking Explorer Society cocktail party. Just like on the Viking Buri, the bartenders tonight set out a wide array of cocktails from which to choose. This time, I picked up an Aperol Spritz, another new drink for me. I found out that Aperol is a bittersweet Italian liqueur, somewhat like Campari, but orange in color. Mixed with sparkling wine, the spritz was quite tasty.

The Viking Explorer Society Cocktail Party

We dined again with the same four women from last night and enjoyed a delicious dinner and wonderful conversation.

Starter - Soupe à L’Échalote, Main Course - Seared Grouper, Dessert - Mango Lassie Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment