Monday, May 15, 2023

A Rainy Afternoon

When our original all-day excursion was cancelled, I had hoped to sign up for the afternoon tour of Montmartre, but it was sold out. That turned out to just as well, since it rained all afternoon. Luckily, Tim and I were not in a hurry to get out to see Paris since we’ll be here for five days after the cruise. Instead, we were happy just to enjoy some quiet time on the ship.

After a wonderful lunch, I stopped at Guest Services to ask a question, but no one was at the desk. When I happened to see someone in the office and caught his eye, he said, “I cannot help you, I am only the Captain.” I told him if that were the case, we were in big trouble! It’s nice to have a Captain with a sense of humor.

I guess it was inevitable that I would start to make comparisons between the Fjorgyn and the Buri. Although the Fjorgyn is smaller, the ships look very much alike. The service and food have also been excellent on both ships. I’ve noticed a few subtle differences, however, such as trays of a special drink to welcome us back from a tour. It will be fun to see what else I might notice as the week progresses.

The Ship Is Similar to Buri, But Here, We Are Watched Over by Fjorgyn, Norse Mythology's Mother Earth

The schedule of events on both ships is also very similar, and this evening the Captain and Hotel Manager welcomed us on board with a toast. It seems like this Captain and department heads, especially our Executive Chef, may be a bit more fun-loving, if the way they posed for a photograph is any indication!

A Toast from the Captain to the Guests, and Our Captain and Staff

As the Captain was welcoming us on board, we cast off, leaving Paris for our next port. We turned around near one of the best-known replicas of the Statue of Liberty and then sailed past the Eiffel Tower. It was still raining as we waved to our sister ship, the Viking Radgrid. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will not rain on our excursion to Monet’s Giverny tomorrow.

There's Another Statue of Liberty in Paris

Setting Sail from Paris

Waving to Viking Radgrid in the Rain

Dinner tonight was delicious, and I actually remembered to take photographs. We have met several interesting people at meals so far but have also reconnected with a few of the folks who were on our previous cruise. Approximately 38 people are taking both segments.

Starter - Parisian Salad, Main Course - Fricassée de Poulet aux Morilles, and Dessert - Vanilla Bonbon

No comments:

Post a Comment