Tuesday, May 16, 2023

La Roche-Guyon

It looks like I got my wish because we woke up to a beautiful, sunny day with brilliant blue skies. While Tim stayed in bed, I enjoyed my continental breakfast in the Aquavit Terrace. The offerings here are almost identical to those on Viking Buri, but the server is much more attentive.

Finally, A Beautiful Blue-Sky Day

Continental Breakfast Buffet in the Aquavit Terrace

We docked in the picturesque village of La Roche-Guyon this morning, and many of the guests left for an excursion on French Chateau Life, another one that had been sold out for quite some time. Those of us who remained on the ship were encouraged to explore the small village on our own, and that’s exactly what I decided to do.

La Roche-Guyon is located on a narrow strip of land between the Seine River and striking cliffs of white chalk. The village is best known for its twelfth-century Château de La Roche-Guyon, perched atop a steep promontory and hollowed out of a cliff. The fortified manor house below was built in the mid-thirteenth century. A large garden, added in the eighteenth century, is located between the manor house and the river, and that’s where I started my walk.

Château de La Roche-Guyon and Its Garden

After exiting the garden, I wandered through this sleepy town and ended up at a scenic overlook set on the remains of a bridge that once spanned the Seine River but was destroyed during World War II. The views were wonderful.

La Roche-Guyon

The Village of La Roche-Guyon and the Seine from the Overlook

After returning to the ship, I enjoyed a second cup of coffee on the Sun Deck. I love the self-serve coffee machines where I can get my cappuccino fix and read the sayings on the paper cups. This was the first time that the weather and lack of shore excursions provided an opportunity to actually enjoy the Sun Deck.

Coffee and Views on the Sun Deck

Viking Fjorgyn provided other options for guests who remained on board this morning. A watercolor class was followed by an enrichment lecture entitled Painters Along the Seine. The guest speaker did an excellent job of condensing the history of art into a 45-minute talk.

No, I Did Not Try My Hand at Watercolor Painting

I Really Enjoyed the Lecture

No comments:

Post a Comment