Friday, December 22, 2023

Our Unplanned Stop in Nassau

I could have gone ashore in Nassau today, but I really had no desire to do so. Instead, Tim and I enjoyed a quiet day on the ship. We were docked next to the Norwegian Escape, and I can’t tell you how many of our passengers expressed relief that they were not on such a huge ship. I totally agree!

Docked in Nassau

Since tomorrow is disembarkation day, I spent much of the day packing. I also made it a point to photograph as many of my favorite crew members as I could find. Unfortunately, some were off today, so I didn’t catch everyone. I cannot say enough good things about the crew members on Viking ships. They really make the journey special, and they can never seem to do enough for us.

I don’t know if it’s true, but I heard that personality is the most important criteria in the selection of crew members for Viking. Apparently, most skills can be taught, but personality is innate and is what endears the crew to the passengers.

Nagesh, the Head Waiter in the World Café at breakfast and lunch, always looked out for us, whether arranging for a meeting with the Executive Chef, making sure we had our cappuccinos, or simply greeting us with a warm smile. I always looked forward to seeing him.

Nagesh and Sarah

I think Nola was Tim’s favorite in the World Café. Nola was the queen of the gelato station, which Tim frequented on a regular basis. Since he always requested caramel sauce on his ice cream, Nola dubbed him “Mr. Caramel.”

Nolu, Mr. Caramel, and His Dessert

Sheryl always seemed to find a coveted reservation for us at Chef’s Table, and Diego greeted us every morning with a big smile as we helped ourselves to his wide assortment of fruit.

Sheryl and Diego

There were so many wonderful waiters and waitresses in the various dining rooms, but I only captured photos of a few. Lisa and Abinash took good care of us in the World Café, while Dessa and Julio made our experiences at Chef’s Table even more special. Pallavi, the Head Waitress at Chef’s Table, also deserves a special mention.

Pallavi, Surrounded by Lisa, Abinash, Julio, and Dessa

Neptune’s officers were approachable and very gracious in our meetings with them. For example, Executive Chef Satheesh suggested how I might request my traditional Southern New Year’s Day dinner of black-eyed peas and collard greens on our upcoming world cruise. Chantelle, the Shore Excursion Manager, gave us valuable pointers when she met with us to talk about our world cruise.

Chantelle and Chef Satheesh

Last, but certainly not least, was Ronny, our room steward, whom I’ve talked about previously. Ronny seemed to anticipate our needs and wants and delivered everything with a smile. I enjoyed chatting with him in the hallway and hearing about his home country, Peru. His smile always made my day.

Ronny

The final sendoff on our last evening onboard was a glorious sunset as we sailed the Atlantic Ocean to Fort Lauderdale. It was spectacular!

WOW!

Only One More Stop - Fort Lauderdale

No comments:

Post a Comment