Saturday, December 2, 2023

An Unexpected Sea Day

Our first port cancellation! Due to heavy wind and waves, our stop in Villefranche-sur-Mer, France, was cancelled. Since we had been rocking and rolling for the past few hours, I wasn’t surprised when the Captain made his announcement around 8:00 am. Tim and I just turned over and went back to sleep.

It just so happens that I had earlier decided to skip today’s tour and take my own sea day, so this worked out especially well for me. I had been prepared to simply eat the cost of the tour, but this way, the money was refunded.

Many of our friends from our pre-cruise extension were disappointed, but not me! I needed a sea day! I have not been feeling well, and my stomach has been a bit queasy. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can blame it on seasickness.

Crackers, white rice, and tea were a perfect lunch. Dinner was similar, but with a baked potato instead of rice. Not being able to enjoy all the tempting foods was disappointing.

Today was laundry day, and everyone seemed to have the same idea. I was quite impressed that so many men were doing laundry. Luckily, I had only a short wait for a washer and dryer and was able to finish one load.

The Captain announced at one point that we were experiencing 12-foot waves, and we tossed and turned all day. The waves were impressive and watching them was mesmerizing. It was somewhat hard to see them, however, since every window on the ship was coated with salt spray. Of course, the outside decks were off limits, and I didn’t dare open the door in our cabin for a better view.

It Was Hard to Capture How Large the Waves Were

The rocking and rolling continued all day and night. It was amusing to watch people stagger as they walked. Tim said that he had to keep walking so he wouldn’t fall down.

I remembered to take photographs of our cabin after Ronny made it pretty this evening with his special turndown service. He can’t seem to do enough for us. When he sees us in the hallway, for example, he makes a point of opening our door for us. We are getting spoiled.

Our Cabin After Turndown Service

Our Bathroom

Port Number 3 - Cancelled - Back Out to Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment