Monday, December 4, 2023

Marseille – Another Sea Day for Us

Based on the weather forecast, Tim and I had decided last night that we would skip our excursion for today. Heavy rain, wind, and temperatures in the 40s were a big turn-off for me and not conducive to a several-hour walking tour. Oh well, I’ll get to see Aix-en-Provence, our intended destination, someday.

When we opened the curtains this morning, we had already docked at the port of Marseille. The low-lying clouds were hiding much of the city from view, so I wasn't sure how much the folks on the overview tour would be able to see.

Welcome to Marseille - The Weather Wasn't So Bad When I Took this Photograph

While we were sitting in the Living Room after breakfast, we watched passengers coming back from their tours. I had to admire them for their perseverance, but most looked very relieved to be back onboard.

The Wind Was Whipping these Flags, and the Rain Was About to Start

Before leaving for this cruise, I had accepted the fact that I wouldn’t be able to see everything that I had hoped to. And, I had decided that this was okay. I had realized that it was important for me to listen to the voices in my head that said, “Do what YOU want, or not want, to do” and “It’s okay to change your mind or skip things” and “Make yourself happy!” Skipping our tour made me happy.

We had a lovely morning. Tim continued to peruse the books in the libraries, and I worked on the blog, processing photos. It was also interesting to watch the scheduled crew emergency drill. Even doing laundry in the afternoon was a simple affair.

This evening, we attended a lecture by Dr. Philip Lawson entitled “Brilliant Barcelona.” His was an excellent presentation, and I not only learned a great deal about the architectural heritage of Barcelona, but also tips on photographing the various sites, particularly the works of Antoni Gaudi.

A Great Lecture

Tim and I continue to enjoy eating at the World Café, the ship’s buffet, especially since I’m feeling so much better. I like sampling lots of different things and often end up with some odd combinations. The food is always good, the selection is extensive, and the casual atmosphere is pleasant. The seating arrangement lends itself to conversations with passengers at neighboring tables, and we have met some interesting people.

Our Journey for the Last Two Days

No comments:

Post a Comment