Sunday, May 12, 2024

From the Mississippi to Herbert Hoover

If I thought the GPS in the car directed me on lots of backroads yesterday, that route was nothing compared to how Google maps on my phone directed me today. I don’t think I’ve ever been on so many backroads, but it was a beautiful drive. I traveled along the bluffs of the Mississippi River for a while and stopped at several scenic overlooks of the river.

Overlooking the Mississippi River

Then, it was into the heart of Iowa agricultural country. Everything was so green, and the fields were being plowed. I saw beautiful barns and experienced the essence of the Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage Area.

When I arrived at the Visitor Center for the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site, there wasn’t a park ranger in sight. I talked to the young volunteer for a bit, however, and then watched the film and viewed the exhibits on Hoover’s young life in West Branch, Iowa. I later met another volunteer and learned that both were students at the nearby University of Iowa. What a great source of volunteers for the park!

Exhibits on Hoover's Life in West Branch, Iowa

I enjoyed walking through the town where Hoover was born and spent his early years. The two-room cottage in which he was born was restored in 1935 by President Hoover, who viewed the cottage as “physical proof of the unbounded opportunity of American life.”

The Birthplace Cottage

Other buildings associated with Hoover’s life include his father’s blacksmith shop, the one-room schoolhouse in which Hoover studied, and the Friends Meetinghouse in which he worshipped. Other private houses, a few of which were constructed later, complete the park’s commemorative landscape.

Blacksmith Shop, Schoolhouse, and Friends Meetinghouse

West Branch, Iowa - Then and Now

I walked to the adjacent Herbert Hoover Presidential Library, where I watched another excellent film on his life and accomplishments and then toured the museum. Of course, every presidential library emphasizes the best of a president, and this one was no exception.

Like many people, I never had a very favorable opinion of Hoover due to his actions, or lack thereof, during the Great Depression. However, after viewing the film and exhibits, I came away with a new appreciation for him. I never knew that Hoover was known throughout the world as a great humanitarian. During his long career in public service, he led famine relief efforts in 57 nations.

Herbert Hoover Presidential Library

Exhibits Chronicle the Various Periods in Hoover's Life

I ended my visit with a stop at the gravesite of President and Mrs. Hoover.

The Gravesite

It was a beautiful day to walk around, but the temperature reached the upper 80s. Thank goodness, the mature trees provided welcome shade. I can hardly believe that I left Colorado wearing a down jacket, which I continued to wear at Niobrara National Scenic River. Since then, temperatures have climbed steadily to today’s high.

Later this afternoon, I crossed the Mississippi River on the new Twin Bridges into East Moline, Illinois, where I checked into the Hyatt House, the extended stay version of Hyatt Place and another very nice hotel. Unfortunately, several staff members called in sick on Mother’s Day, so the restaurant and bar were not open. I settled on a Lean Cuisine from the Market instead. Sad!

Crossing the Mississippi River from Iowa into Illinois

One of my destinations tomorrow is Just Art Pottery, where I will be selling my collection of Roseville art pottery. I had contacted the owner last month, and he had made an offer for the collection, which I had accepted. I had already been planning this trip and realized that his business was somewhat on the way, making it possible for me to drop off the boxes rather than incurring shipping costs. I emailed him after I checked into the hotel today to ask if I could meet him at 10:00 am. He replied requesting 11:45 am.

Since I now had time to kill, I started looking for another place to visit. I found a site that I was unfamiliar with, the I & M Canal National Heritage Area. Why hang around the hotel for an extra two hours when I could explore some place new?

No comments:

Post a Comment