Wednesday, May 8, 2024

From Loveland to Valentine

This morning, I began my Midwest National Parks Trip on a windy, mostly overcast day. Although I was sad to leave Tim, I was excited to be back on the road. Once I exited the interstate just north of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the traffic was incredibly light, particularly in the direction I was headed.

I'm Off on Another Adventure

Shortly after crossing into Nebraska, I stopped for a break at Scotts Bluff National Monument and had a nice chat with a ranger I had met last fall when Tim and I were volunteering at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument. I didn’t take time to tour the site since I had done so previously, and I was soon on my way.

Scotts Bluff National Monument, Nebraska

Before I left town, however, I stopped at Gering Bakery for a cabbage burger, for which the bakery is known. I had hoped to have a picnic on the way north, but the heavy winds nixed that idea. Oh well, eating in the car didn’t take away from my enjoyment of this tasty treat.

I Always Try to Stop at Gering Bakery

For much of the afternoon, I traveled along the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway, a lovely drive. According to Wikipedia, the Sandhills are an iconic American landscape, a land that fundamentally changed the way Americans view the country and themselves. The Sandhills are the largest area of stabilized grass covered sand dunes in the Western Hemisphere, encompassing more than 20,312 square miles.

Along the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway

My plan had been to arrive in Valentine, Nebraska, in time to visit the Visitor Center for Niobrara National Scenic River. Unfortunately, I failed to account for the fact that I would be crossing into the Central Time Zone. One hour lost! I guess I’ll have to make up that hour tomorrow.

Foiled by the Central Time Zone

On the way into town, I did cross the Niobrara River, and I caught a glimpse of the historic Bryan Bridge, an arched cantilever truss bridge, connected in the center with a single pin, and the only one of its kind in the United States. I love historic bridges, so I was happy a road sign pointed me towards it.

The Historic Bryan Bridge Crossing the Niobrara River

I drove around town and then checked into the Comfort Inn, the highest-rated hotel in Valentine. It will be fine for tonight.

It turns out that I started out this morning in one “Sweetheart City” and ended the day in another. Loveland, Colorado, promotes itself as the nation’s Sweetheart City and features major events around Valentine’s Day. Valentine, Nebraska, is often associated with the patron saint of love, Saint Valentine. Postmasters in both cities typically receive thousands of letters every February to be stamped with their postmarks and mailed on to loved ones.

Sweetheart Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment