Sunday, May 19, 2024

From Another Fort to Tacos

The breakfast room was full this morning with all the folks who were in town for graduation ceremonies. In talking with several people, I was surprised to learn how many relatives, some of whom seemed to be quite distant, chose to spend a weekend to attend a ceremony.

I drove through town, got gas, and found my way to US 34. Google Maps kept insisting that I get on the interstate, but I just ignored her and enjoyed a much more pleasant drive. It rained for much of the morning, sometimes heavy at times, but nothing like yesterday.

My only destination today was Fort Kearney State Historical Park, an important symbol of westward expansion and development. This was the first fort built to protect travelers on the Oregon and California Trails. It also became a Pony Express station and was the home of the Pawnee Scouts.

Fort Kearny State Historical Park

What I thought would be a relatively quick stop lasted way longer than I would have guessed. I was not impressed with the exhibits, which I found to be very old-fashioned with language that is not respectful today, but my visit quickly morphed into something special.

Soon after I asked the staff for the National Park Service trail stamps, the superintendent, Gene Hunt, came out with an old box of all kinds of stamps. I doubt those had seen the light of day for years. He explained the significance of each one, most of which were anniversary stamps, and said that I was taking him down memory lane.

Gene Hunt and His Box of Stamps

Mr. Hunt then walked me back through the exhibits and explained many of them to me. He showed me photos and talked about how he had established relationships with descendants of the Pawnee Scouts, who had served as military allies at Fort Kearny, and how proud he was to have celebrated their forgotten story at one of the park’s anniversary events. Mr. Hunt has been with the park since 1972 and is an institution. Meeting him was the highlight of my visit to Fort Kearny.

I continued westward on US 34, and there was even less traffic. I think I only passed one car in more than two hours.

As I was leaving the town of Holdrege, Nebraska, the weather instantly changed, and it started pouring rain. Then it started to hail. I had been cognizant of the weather on this trip due to recent severe weather and tornados in the region, so I immediately pulled to the side of the road and decided to make a U-turn and go back into town.

I've Been in Much Worse Hail, but I Didn't Know What Might Lie Ahead

I turned into a parking lot for a bit, and when the hail stopped, I moved across the street to McDonald’s, where I decided to wait out the storm. The heavy rain lasted for only 30 minutes or so, and I was soon back on the highway. The weather heading west had turned nice and sunny.

I gained an hour this afternoon when I crossed back into Mountain Time Zone, and soon, I was back in Colorado. As a result of the time change, I arrived at my hotel in Wray, Colorado, earlier than usual and checked into the Cobblestone Inn, just about the only hotel in this part of the country.

Back to Colorful Colorado

The Cobblestone Inn may be a step down from most of the places I’ve stayed in on this trip, but the hospitality and service were a notch above. As I pulled into a parking space at the hotel, I noticed a man grilling something, as well as a sign announcing someone’s graduation party. As I walked by with my luggage, I teasingly asked if I could buy a plate. The man who was cooking and catering the party said he would be happy to give me one. I protested, but he insisted and said everything was covered anyway. He then proceeded to fix me two tacos, one steak and one chicken. I thanked him profusely and made my way to the front desk.

Amy at the front desk was so friendly, and I told her my story. She said that he had fixed a plate for her when she arrived a short time before. After I got my key, she told me my room was on the second floor, and the stairs were at the end of the hallway. No elevator!

I wondered how I’d get upstairs with my luggage and plate of food, and Amy insisted on helping me with my things. She carried my suitcase upstairs and held my plate while I opened the door. Wow! That’s service!

I settled in and ate two of the most delicious tacos I’ve ever had. The meat was so tender and well-seasoned. I had to go back downstairs and thank the kind chef. What a delightful way to end my trip.

These Tacos Were the Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment