Sunday, May 29, 2022

Oslo On My Own

Tim had signed up for an optional tour, Walk in the Footsteps of Alfred Nobel, so I had the afternoon free to tour downtown Oslo on my own. I didn’t want to repeat the mistake I had made in Copenhagen when I didn’t leave the ship. Because our ship was docked so close to town, we didn’t even need shuttle buses. It was so easy just to walk where I wanted to go.

I headed first to Oslo’s new waterfront cultural district to see its two modern landmarks. Although my background is historic preservation, and I love historic buildings, I also appreciate good, contemporary architecture and urban design. Just as I had wanted to see the Utzon Center in Ålborg, here my goal was the Oslo Opera House and Munch Museum.

Oslo's Waterfront Cultural District

The Opera House is universally admired as a modern Scandinavian masterpiece, and I would agree. I’ve never seen anything like it, and it’s such a welcoming building. Where else are you invited to walk on the roof? The striking angular design has been described as “somewhere between a glacier, ski slope and a ship coming into dock.” The interior is also very cool, although the auditorium was closed for viewing.

Oslo Opera House

Oslo Opera House

Nearby is the Munch Museum, which houses the world's largest collection of works by the artist best known for painting The Scream. This vertical museum is another wonderful addition to Oslo’s rapidly developing waterfront. My plan was to visit the museum tomorrow morning.

Munch Museum

I was also struck with the building across the street from the Opera House, which I learned is the Oslo Public Library. To say that I was impressed with this collection of modern buildings is an understatement.

Oslo Public Library

It was now time to turn my attention to Oslo’s historic buildings. I had decided to loosely follow Rick Steve’s Oslo Walk, which begins at Oslo’s Central Station. The plaza outside the main entrance to the station is immediately adjacent to the Public Library.

Oslo Central Station

The walk would take me along Karl Johans Gate, the grand, pedestrian boulevard that leads from Central Station to the Royal Palace. Here, I passed many of Oslo’s significant buildings. The Oslo Cathedral was first, and behind the church was an interesting circular row of stalls from an 1850s era market.

Oslo Cathedral and Market

Continuing down the boulevard, I saw the Parliament Building, the National Theater, and City Hall. Oslo City Hall is where the Nobel Peace Prize is presented, the only Nobel Prize awarded in Oslo. Awards for the other four prizes are given in Stockholm.

On the way to City Hall, I came across large groups of people in traditional Norwegian dress. I never did find out what event they were attending at City Hall.

Parliament Building

Karl Johans Gate

National Theater

Traditional Norwegian Dress

City Hall

For some reason, Rick Steve’s Oslo Walk does not extend all the way to the Royal Palace. I had intended to walk there, but I guess trying to figure out what was going on at City Hall distracted me.

I ended up back at the harbor, where I saw the Nobel Peace Center and then made my way back to the ship. It was a great walk. Tim told me he also enjoyed his tour.

Nobel Peace Center

Viking Venus

No comments:

Post a Comment