Saturday, October 1, 2022

Opening Morning at the Balloon Fiesta

I was up at what seemed like the middle of the night to board our bus for a 4:45 am departure to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Park. I was finally going to experience the opening morning of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, which had been on my bucket list for years. The fiesta is the largest gathering of balloons and balloonists in the world, and this is its 50th year.

Traffic was a nightmare, and I’m so grateful I decided to participate in the Road Scholar program. We were so lucky to have our bus drop us off within steps of the Chasers Club, a private area that provides guaranteed seating in an outdoor patio next to the launch field. Here, we enjoyed a full breakfast bar and coffee, which was quite welcome in the chilly morning air.

Just after 6:00 am, the Dawn Patrol Show, a choreographed inflation and launch set to music, began. We watched this amazing spectacle as a dozen balloons illuminated the still-dark sky. The balloons lifted-off in the dark and flew until it was light enough to see landing sites.

Dawn Patrol Show

What a Spectacular Show!

Immediately after a chorus sang the national anthem, pilots shot plumes of flames into the air from their burners, and a squadron of airplanes in formation flew over the field trailing smoke. 

At 7:00 am, the Mass Ascension began. This launch of all the participating balloons is said to be the most spectacular display of sound and color in all of aviation. The two Fiesta balloons trailing American flags, and a third balloon with the New Mexican flag, led the first wave of the Mass Ascension, and soon the sky above was filled with colorful balloons.

The Balloons Flying the American and New Mexican Flags Were the First Up

The Mass Ascension Began as the Sun Was Starting to Rise 

Indeed, it was a spectacular sight as about 625 balloons took to the skies. I couldn’t stop clicking my camera and came away with almost 500 photographs. Trying to choose just a handful for this post was excruciating!

Everyone Wanted to Take the Perfect Photograph

Up, Up, and Away

Balloons for Colorado, Maryland, Wyoming, and Even Cows!

Colorful Balloons Filled the Sky

So Many Colors and Designs

I spent most of the morning on the field packed with wall-to-wall spectators. The launch field is enormous at 78 acres, the equivalent of 54 football fields put together. For me, being able to be on the field, wander among the balloons as they were being inflated, and watch the action up close was an incredible experience. 

Being Up Close with the Balloons Was So Cool

The Lift-Offs Were Great


I Wanted to Be Up in that Balloon

How Do They Not Bump into One Another?

Many people prefer the special shape balloons, and while I think they’re fun, I much prefer the traditional balloon shapes in all their bright colors and distinctive patterns. Those were the ones that I seemed to gravitate towards as I wandered around and gazed towards the sky.

Do I See a Mouse?

Of Course, Smokey Was My Favorite, But the VW Van Was Pretty Cool!

I Still Prefer Balloons Like These

. . .  And These

We were so fortunate to have picture-perfect weather for opening day, since ascensions and flights are weather-dependent and may be cancelled at any time, as I know from experience. No balloon flight I’ve ever booked has launched.

A Bright, Blue-Sky Day

Perfect Weather for Flying

Shortly after 9:00 am, the main show was over as almost every balloon was in the air. We then met our group leader for a short walk to the Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum, where we had time to explore the many exhibits. We then boarded our bus and departed for the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.

This Is the Closest I'll Come to Being in a Balloon Today

No comments:

Post a Comment