Sunday, October 2, 2022

Coronado Historic Site

I was a happy camper when I learned we were going to El Pinto for lunch. I had never eaten at this restaurant that features traditional New Mexican cuisine, but Tim and I buy its salsa all the time. We sat in a lovely outdoor patio and were served some of my favorite foods. It was quite amusing listening to some of my tablemates complain about how spicy the food was. I thought it was quite mild!

From El Pinto, we drove to Coronado Historic Site. In 1540, Spanish explorer Francisco Vázquez de Coronado was searching for the fabled Seven Cities of Gold. Instead of treasure, he found a dozen villages inhabited by prosperous Native farmers. These newly "discovered" people spoke Tiwa, and their ancestors had already been living in this area for thousands of years.

A Beautiful Setting Along the Rio Grande

Reconstructed Walls of the Pueblo Give a Sense of Its Size

When archeologists excavated the ruins of Kuaua Pueblo during the 1930s, they discovered a square kiva that contained many layers of mural paintings. These murals represent some of the finest examples of Pre-Columbian art ever found in the United States. The murals were carefully removed, and 14 examples of the art are on display in the Visitor Center. Photographs were not permitted. 

The Museum in the Visitor Center Interprets the Site

The kiva was reconstructed, and one of the mural layers was also recreated. Many in our group descended the ladder into the restored kiva, but my fear of ladders kept me above ground. I guess I shouldn’t have been so smug about enjoying the spicy New Mexican food at lunch. Some seniors can’t handle spicy foods but have no issue dealing with ladders.

The Reconstructed Kiva

I Wish I Had Been Brave Enough to Descend into the Kiva

Although named for Coronado, this historic site is significant due to the presence of multiple cultures, beginning with the Tiwa about 1325 CE. Although there have been calls to change the name of the site to Kuaua, nothing has happened so far. At least the interpretive panels acknowledge the true significance of this place.

After returning to our hotel, I joined everyone for a farewell dinner and spent time comparing experiences with fellow Road Scholars. Although I didn’t make new friends, I did enjoy everyone’s company. Johnny and Sue, our group leaders, were so personable and did a great job. Joining a Road Scholar program for the Balloon Fiesta was definitely the way to go for me. I wouldn’t hesitate to sign up for another program in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment