Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Georgia O’Keeffe Country

After leaving Santa Fe, my plan for today was to explore Georgia O'Keeffe Country – those places in New Mexico associated with her life, as well as the landscapes that inspired her. I didn’t stop at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe since I had previously visited it. Instead, I wanted to focus on the area around Abiquiú and the Ghost Ranch.

When I neared Abiquiú, I happened upon the O’Keeffe Welcome Center, which was completely unfamiliar to me. As you can see, I hadn’t done any homework and was just winging it today. I learned that the Welcome Center is the starting point for tours of Georgia O’Keeffe’s home and studio and also features exhibits.

Unfortunately, there were no tickets available for a tour, but I did enjoy the “O’Keeffe in the Landscape” exhibit, which included many of the personal effects she brought with her on trips into nature, including camping gear and clothing.

"O'Keeffe in the Landscape" Exhibit

I still wanted to visit Abiquiú, so I drove up the hill, parked, and wandered around. I admired the Church of Santo Tomas and then tried to get a peek over the walls of the home and studio. I didn’t see much, but I did get a feeling for the place that meant so much to her.

A Peek at the O'Keeffe Home and Studio

Church of Santo Tomas

I continued my drive north through the spectacular Piedra Lumbre basin and admired the canyons and painted cliffs that inspired O’Keeffe. Despite the overcast skies, the colors were brilliant.

Scenery Along the Way

My next stop was Ghost Ranch, set in a stunning landscape north of Abiquiú. A retreat center run by the Presbyterian Church, this former dude ranch is where Georgia O’Keeffe lived and painted during the summer months, inspired by the surrounding landscape of cliffs, buttes, and rivers. The views were breathtaking as I drove in towards the Welcome Center, where I purchased my day pass.

Entering Ghost Ranch

Breathtaking Views

I toured the Ghost House, built in 1881, as well as the Museums of Anthropology and Paleontology.  I had no idea that Ghost Ranch was such an important paleontological site. 

Ghost House

Since I was running short on time, I hopped in the car and drove towards the upper mesa, hoping for even more spectacular views. I may have found them.

Brilliant Colors

Chimney Rock

Gorgeous

The Fall Colors Are a Nice Complement

I've Run Out of Adjectives!

It was time to get on the road to Chama, where I would be spending the next two nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment