Tuesday, October 12, 2021

West Coast Train Trip - Reflections

Taking this trip was just what I needed. Although I love to travel with Tim, and he’s a wonderful travel partner, it’s sometimes good to travel solo. I admit that I was a bit rusty, especially during the early part of the trip. Things that once were no big deal were suddenly a bit of a challenge. Exactly how do I take the light rail and then find my way to my hotel in Seattle? How do I walk from the train station to the mission and then my hotel in San Luis Obispo? How do I use Uber and Lyft? All those little challenges took me out of my comfort zone, at least initially.

Getting my adventurous spirit back and becoming confident once again in my ability to figure things out was one of the accomplishments of this trip.

I also rediscovered the fun in striking up a conversation with strangers, and even asking for help when needed. That’s not to say that I’m not cautious in deciding who is trustworthy. The experience just reminded me that it’s often the people I meet, not just the scenery, that make a trip memorable.

And finally, I remembered how important it is to reconnect with friends and to visit with them in person. Phone calls are great, but they are no substitute for long conversations in person. I’m not going to let another five years pass before seeing Kevin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment