Saturday, October 9, 2021

Arrival in San Diego

My train journey ended in San Diego, where I spent some time exploring the Santa Fe Depot, another incredible historic station. My hotel was just a few blocks away, so I walked there on a beautiful afternoon.

Santa Fe Depot

Beautiful Tilework

Waiting Room

Beautiful Tilework Throughout the Interior

The Guild Hotel is housed in a historic YMCA buidling, and I was impressed with the way in which the designers preserved the building’s original character, yet introducted contemporary design trends and amenities The building opened in 1924 as the Army and Navy YMCA and provided accommodations and entertainment for members of the armed forces while they were on leave.

Here I encountered some of the most friendly and helpful staff ever. When I was looking at the framed original blueprints, a young bellman approached me and started talking about the history of the hotel. Then when I complimented the front desk staff about the rehabilitation, one young woman insisted on giving me a tour of some of the historic spaces. What hospitality!

Guild Hotel

Guild Hotel Entrance

Guild Hotel Detail

In Kevin’s honor and to celebrate the completion of the trip, I sat at the hotel’s bar and had a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles. It had been quite the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment