Thursday, October 7, 2021

Visiting a Friend in Portland

My objective in stopping in Portland for the night was to spend time with my friend Kevin. Kevin and I have known each other since Miami and have frequently traveled together. I had not seen Kevin since 2016, however, when I had arrived in Portland on the Empire Builder from Glacier National Park.

Although I was originally going to stay at his home, he told me that his son and husband were sick, so I checked into the Woodlark Hotel, a beautifully rehabilitated historic hotel downtown.

Kevin picked me up at Portland’s Union Station, another great historic station, and we drove around the city, checking on the latest developments. We had lunch, walked around the downtown area, and ended up at the Park Avenue Wine Bar. If I’m with Kevin, I know wine tasting will be on the agenda!

Union Station

Waiting Room, Union Station

Woodlark Hotel, Downtown Portland

Portland at Night from My Hotel Window

Kevin and Sarah

Kevin had to work the next morning, but we met for lunch before he dropped me off at Union Station.

Although I was sad that I didn’t see Darwin or get to meet their son, I enjoyed the long talks with Kevin and the time we spent together. We promised each other that we wouldn’t wait another five years to see one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment