Friday, October 8, 2021

Awakening on the Coast Starlight on the Way to San Luis Obispo

It was still dark when we arrived in Sacramento. There was a bit of excitement when the local EMTs boarded the train, treated, and eventually removed the lady in the bedroom next to mine due to a medical emergency. How sad. 

Behind a bank of clouds, I watched the sun come up over San Francisco Bay and caught a glimpse of the city skyline across the water. From there, the train followed the same route as El Camino Real, the old Spanish mission road. Later on in the day, we would pass Mission San Miguel Arcángel, the 16th Spanish mission established along the road.

Sunrise Over San Francisco Bay

San Francisco Skyline in the Distance

Mission San Miguel Arcángel

The route took us through the Santa Clara and Salinas Valleys, the heart of California’s rich agricultural region. Distant mountain ranges flanked the valleys that were lined with field after field and orchard after orchard, none which I was able to identify. Although some may find agricultural areas boring, I loved the seeing the wide variety of crops that are produced here.





Perhaps the most exciting part of the trip occurred after leaving Paso Robles when we crossed Cuesta Grade and descended over 1,000 feet in 11 miles before reaching San Luis Obispo. The huge horseshoe curves along the way provided an excellent view of almost the entire train.

Descending Towards San Luis Obispo

Crossing Cuesta Grade 

When we arrived in San Luis Obispo, I decided to walk to my hotel. I had been sitting for way too long. First, however, I wanted to see Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, so I walked there first. A wedding rehearsal was underway, but I was able to sneak a look inside the historic church.

I then walked through the city’s charming downtown on the way to my hotel. Had I realized that it was mostly an uphill walk, I may have reconsidered, but I finally made it and settled in for the evening.

Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa

Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa

No comments:

Post a Comment