Thursday, October 7, 2021

Back on the Coast Starlight

When planning my trip, I tried to make sure that the train would be passing the sights that I particularly wanted to see during daylight hours. That was harder than it looked and involved a bit of compromise. My first decision had been which direction to travel – north to south or south to north. I had decided to travel south from Seattle, knowing that we would be crossing the Oregon Cascades during the night.

When I looked at the schedule and realized that we would also be traveling south of Santa Barbara after dark, I decided that I would get off the train in San Luis Obispo. That way I could spend the night, catch the Pacific Surfliner in the morning, and travel the coast during the day.

The trip from Portland to San Luis Obispo is a 25-hour journey, and there was never any doubt that I would book a sleeper. The choice was between a Roomette and a Bedroom. Although I initially considered only a Roomette since it’s about half the price of a Bedroom, I eventually splurged for a Bedroom. Bedrooms are larger, although that wasn’t a priority, but they have a private bathroom, certainly a desirable feature. I would also be able to look out the windows on both sides of the train by leaving my door open and taking advantage of the window in the hallway, as well as the one in my room. I decided that the extra expense was worth it, and I confirmed that thought when I settled into my room in Portland.

My Bedroom

We were about two hours late leaving Portland because freight trains have priority over Amtrak, but we finally left the city behind. I had printed out a copy of an old Coast Starlight route guide before leaving home, but I did miss the commentary of a Trails and Rails volunteer. Still, I enjoyed the scenery as we passed the natural Willamette Falls in Oregon City and the green fields of various crops.

Leaving Portland

Willamette Falls in Oregon City

Green Fields

Dinner in the dining room was delicious, but the experience was different this time. I sat by myself and missed joining other passengers at a table – a casualty of COVID-19. When I returned to my room, it was already getting dark, and I watched the sun set as we followed the Willamette River.

The Setting Sun Over the Willamette River

No comments:

Post a Comment