Wednesday, October 6, 2021

On the Coast Starlight to Portland

In the morning, I walked to King Street Station, ready to embark on my train adventure along the west coast. In case I never mentioned this previously in the blog, I am a huge rail fan. I especially love the history of trains in the United States and the role that railroads played in the development of national parks. I even collect historic railroad posters.

When I was planning this train trip and making reservations, I had decided to break the trip into three segments. The first would be the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Portland, spending the night there. Next would be the Coast Starlight from Portland to San Luis Obispo, spending the night there. The final leg would be the Pacific Surfliner from San Luis Obispo to San Diego.

Because the leg from Seattle to Portland was only four hours long, there was no need for a sleeper. I did, however, upgrade from coach to business. Why not?! I boarded the train and settled into my seat.

Boarding the Coast Starlight in Seattle

Soon, I heard an announcement that surprised and delighted me. Passengers were invited to the Lounge Car to listen to the Trails and Rails volunteer. The Trails and Rails program is a partnership program between the National Park Service and Amtrak that provides rail passengers with natural and cultural information about the sights along the way. I was certainly familiar with the program but had thought it had been suspended.

I made my way to the Lounge Car, where I spent the entire trip (so much for my business class seat!), and introduced myself to the volunteer, a retired National Park Service land manager. Then I sat back and listened while he spoke about the history of the area and pointed out landmarks. What an enjoyable and informative ride.

Old Union Station in Tacoma, Washington

Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Puget Sound

Columbia River

Although the weather was cloudy and rained for much of the way, I could still enjoy the views. One added benefit of the Trails and Rails program is that the volunteers bring special National Park passport stamps with them. Although I did not have my passport book with me, the gentleman kindly stamped a blank sheet of paper, which I will cut out and paste in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment