Sunday, November 26, 2023

Shopping and Galileo

Today was the Florence Marathon, and the streets were mobbed with runners, spectators, and many, many tourists. Tim and I had another late breakfast of cappuccino and croissants at a tiny cafĂ© where we could sit inside. Inside seating was a rare commodity today, and since it was cold out, we especially appreciated it. 

Although Tim and I rarely shop when we travel (unlike me in my previous life!), we do indulge in a bit of shopping from time to time.  That’s what we did this morning. We were both looking for traditional items for which Florence is known.

I was on the hunt for marbled paper products, and I found the same store where I had shopped oh so many years ago when I first visited Florence. Tim had hoped to find a leather belt, and he was successful. The couple at the leather shop was so friendly, and we enjoyed talking with them as the owner customized Tim’s belt for him.

A Productive Shopping Experience

We had no tours booked for today, so I asked Tim what he was in the mood for. The Galileo Museum was his choice for this afternoon, and it was a good one. This science museum, dedicated to Galileo, houses one of the most important collections of scientific instruments in the world.

The museum is one of Florence’s lesser-known spaces and was not at all crowded. It was so nice to enjoy the exhibits without people blocking our views. Although the odd instruments were interesting, I especially enjoyed the various globes.

Do You Know What These Instruments Measured?

I Loved the Various Globes

After walking back to the hotel and taking a short nap, we then had to decide – should we go out to dinner? We were tired, but hungry, and ultimately decided to take the easy route by having dinner at our hotel. Although we did not take advantage of the many fabulous restaurants in Florence, I was okay with that decision. The food at our hotel was excellent, and convenience for me was more important.

Tina was working behind the bar, and I wanted to stop to say goodbye. I was not going to drink, just chat for a bit. We had a nice conversation, and I was also able to say goodbye to Adorno before he left. A guest had ordered an espresso martini, and I enjoyed watching Tina make it. Apparently, there was a bit left over in the shaker, and Tina presented it to me. How sweet and thoughtful. 

I repeated my observation from last night about how special interacting with the staff had been, and I truly believe that Tina and Sergio, who had waited on us previously, were touched by what I said.

It was soon time to head upstairs. We have an early day tomorrow, plus I needed to pack for the next phase of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment