Saturday, June 4, 2022

Bergen On My Own

After our flightseeing tour, Tim and I returned to the ship for lunch. It was a gorgeous, blue-sky day, so rare for Bergen, that I decided to walk back into town for another look-see. As usual, I followed much of Rick Steve’s Bergen Walk, and it clued me in on places I may not have found on my own.

As Rick Steves advised, I began “where Bergen did, at its historic fortress.” Bergenhus Fortress contains buildings dating as far back as the 1240s, as well as later construction. The Rosenkrantz Tower housed the king’s residence, while HÃ¥kon’s Hall, the other stone building, served as a banquet hall.

Bergenhus Fortress

After walking away from the harbor, I passed St. Mary’s Church, Bergen’s oldest preserved building, and then made my way down to Bryggen. The colorful wooden buildings really stood out today against the blue sky.

St. Mary’s Church

Bryggen - So Much More Photogenic Today

Making my way around the harbor, I entered Fisketorget, Bergen’s Fish Market. Fish and fish trading has been an important part of Bergen’s economy for centuries, and the stalls here sell all types of seafood. I saw lots of prepared foods as well and regretted that I had already had lunch. While looking at some of the displays, I noticed stone crabs and struck up a conversation with the vendor. Stone crabs were my favorite delicacy when I lived in Miami, and I had not seen any since, so it was fun to reminiscence about them.

Around the Harbor

Fisketorget, Bergen’s Fish Market

Another View of Byrggen from Across the Harbor

Venturing next into the more modern section of town, I entered the main square where some type of concert was underway. Lots of vendors had things for sale, but I was on the hunt for a pharmacy. I did find one and picked up additional cough drops. My cold is mostly over, but I still have a lingering cough. 

Lots of Activity in the Main Square

It was soon time to head back to the ship, but I first wanted to wander through the heart of Bryggen. I discovered narrow passageways lined with shops and looked up to observe the winch and pulley systems on all the buildings. This system connected the ground-floor workrooms with the upper floor storerooms.

Lots of Narrow Passageways

Winch and Pulley Systems Are Ubiquitous

For me, the most interesting thing was learning about Project Bryggen, a long-term project for monitoring, safeguarding, and restoring this UNESCO World Heritage Site. One goal of the ongoing restoration work is to use traditional craft methods and materials to repair and replace damaged parts of the buildings.

Several buildings are currently in the process of restoration, and wayside information panels provide a great deal of insight into construction techniques, issues, and plans. I especially loved the measured drawings.

Project Bryggen

I discovered that there is so much more to Bryggen than an iconic photo op. By venturing behind the colorful facades, I gained a much deeper understanding of this historic site. Still, even I couldn’t resist one final photograph.

A Final Photograph from Scandinavia

I soon returned to the ship as we were departing Bergen at 6:00 pm. Goodbye Scandinavia. Hello British Isles.

No comments:

Post a Comment