Saturday, August 27, 2022

St. Andrews-by-the-Sea

St. Andrews is a picturesque town on Passamaquoddy Bay and is considered to be Canada’s first seaside resort town. Established in1783 by Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution from Castine, Maine, St. Andrews contains an impressive collection of beautifully preserved eighteenth and nineteenth century buildings. 

The Algonquin Resort is one of Canada’s grand, historic hotels. Rebuilt in 1915 after a fire destroyed the original 1889 structure, the Algonquin is distinguished by its Tudor Revival style architecture and red roof. The hotel has become the symbol of St. Andrews, and I’m so glad that we stayed here. 

The Algonquin Resort - Our Rooms Had Water Views

I had suggested Tim Hortons, home of Canada’s favorite coffee, for breakfast, forgetting that it was a fast-food restaurant. The coffee was great though. Blue skies were peeking out from the clouds, so Noreen, Mike, and I decided to walk toward the waterfront. The tide was out, and we learned that the tides here may rise and fall up to 28 feet two times a day.

Along the St. Andrews Waterfront at Different Times of Day

We happened upon the St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site, built during the War of 1812, and then walked along the downtown streets. Mike and I continued our tour after Noreen returned to the hotel, and we discovered even more historic buildings.

St. Andrews Blockhouse

Sights Around St. Andrews

I wanted to find the Pansy Patch, a quaint inn where my mother and I stayed during our Canadian Maritime road trip in 1992. My mother struck up a friendship with the owner, and her standard poodle Cadbury, that continued for years. I had forgotten that the inn is right across the street from the Algonquin, and it was just as cute as ever.

Pansy Patch, Partially Hidden by the Trees

Before too long, the hills and heat got to me, and I had to drag myself back to my room. I was relieved when Noreen suggested we take a break today. It was just what I needed. We returned to the waterfront for an early dinner, and it was so pleasant to sit outside and enjoy the lovely view. Returning to St. Andrews was a great idea.

Mike and Noreen

No comments:

Post a Comment