Sunday, February 13, 2022

Texas State Capitol

I’ve been visiting quite a few state capitols lately, and I didn’t want to miss the Texas capitol while we were here. I had already made a few trips to Austin for service for the Subaru and for a few errands, but there never seemed to be time for playing tourist. Finally, I set aside a Sunday and made the drive.

I was surprised to find that the building was designed by Elijah E. Meyers, the same architect who designed Colorado’s capitol. Constructed from 1882 to 1888, it is the sixth tallest state capitol building.

As always, I enjoyed gazing upwards at the interior of the dome. I was also interested in the terrazzo floor that features the six seals of the countries whose flags have flown over Texas.

Texas State Capitol

Inside the Dome

The Six Seals of the Countries Whose Flags Have Flown over Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment