Saturday, October 21, 2023

Plains Anthropological Society Conference

Sessions for the conference started on Thursday. While Tim attended the presentations, I took the day off. I originally had planned to take a road trip to several national park units in the Upper Midwest while Tim was at the conference, but I reluctantly decided to scrap that idea. I was just too tired after working nonstop at AGFO for the past several weeks. Driving long distances no longer appealed to me, and I decided to take a break. It was a good decision.

One of the parks that I had hoped to visit was Pipestone National Monument. By chance, one of the rangers from the park was at the conference. She was doing a pipestone carving demonstration, and I was able to watch her for a bit. It was quite interesting.

Pipestone Carving at the Plains Anthropological Conference

On our last evening, Tim and I ventured to downtown Rapid City. The city has done a wonderful job with its historic district, and I admired the historic preservation efforts underway. We ate dinner at an early fire station that is now Firehouse Brewing Co. It’s the same restaurant where I ate on my Retirement Road Trip in 2005. The food is still very good.

Rapid City's Historic Fire Station, Now Firehouse Brewing Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment