Saturday, February 25, 2023

Bringing the Blog Up to Date

When I announced on January 19, 2023, that one of the things I had done this year was to start this blog, I had no idea where that would lead. The impetus for the blog was to document our upcoming World Cruise, starting with tossing the idea around, then planning for it, and finally taking the journey itself.

In the back of my mind I had wanted the blog to start in 2019, when Tim and I transitioned from living full-time in our RV to buying a condo and settling down. I knew, however, that going back that far would be a mammoth undertaking, and I doubted I was up for it.

Since I had no other projects of note to occupy my time, I nervously decided to see what I might be able to accomplish. I wrote posts for the end of 2022 when the idea for a World Cruise first raised its head, and then finished the posts for January 2023, when we booked the cruise.

I started reviewing the few notes I had made after buying our condo, and I looked at my photos. I even found a few mini journals that I had written about several of our trips. I slowly dipped my toes into blogging again and found that it was coming along much easier than I thought.

Tim helped me come up with a name for the blog, and I worked on the layout and other technical issues. I decided that I wanted this blog to follow the same format as the previous ones, so that made things somewhat easier.

I backdated all my posts to the date they occurred, and I often included only summaries when my memory and notes failed me. Occasionally, I would later remember something else that had occurred, and I would insert this post where it should fall into the timeline.

I soon found that I had finished the posts for 2019 and was almost through 2020. I was on a roll and really enjoying writing again. Posts for 2021 were even easier since that’s when I had journals to use. Writing blog entries while I had COVID was a perfect diversion and helped take my mind off of my symptoms.

I am now starting to write the posts for our Viking Homelands-British Isles Explorer cruise in 2022. These posts will challenge me since I took almost no notes, but thousands of photos. I am having fun though reliving that fabulous cruise.

I keep telling Tim that never in a million years did I think I would ever bring the blog up to date. But I’m so glad that I’ve found the resolve, or whatever it is, to keep going. I know that I will appreciate having a record of these years to look back on. Keeping memories alive will be so much easier.

Who knows, I may even be inspired to go back to my See Where the Road Leads blog and add entries to that one. Now that would really be a wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment