Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Iceland - Day 8

We did spend some time in Reykjavik in the morning and checked out sights along the waterfront. We drove by the Harpa concert hall and passed the "Sun Voyager" sculpture on the way. Tim also wanted to see the Cathedral of Christ the King.

Harpa Concert Hall

The "Sun Voyager"

Cathedral of Christ the King

However, we wanted to spend most of our day in the Reykjanes Peninsula. This area is on the way to the airport but does not seem to attract as much visitation. We enjoyed the views of Lake Kleifarvatn and took a walk along the boardwalks at the bubbling mud pots at Seltún.

Lake Kleifarvatn

Seltún

Seltún

Seltún

The one famous sight that we skipped was the Blue Lagoon. Although that is the highlight of almost everyone’s visit, Tim and I are just not into hot springs. It would have been neat to just see it, but we didn’t leave ourselves enough time.

We returned the car and made our way to the terminal building where we were confronted with an enormous crowd of humanity. The ticketing area is small, and the line snaked around and around. I was so envious of the folks who breezed up to the business class counter, while we waited for way more than an hour to check in for coach class. I realize that the process takes so much longer these days since boarding passes cannot be obtained online and agents must check COVID test results, but this was truly ridiculous. The line for customs was equally long.

Unfortunately, I let all of this try my patience. I must admit that I was bitchy when we boarded the plane, and I realized that I would be sitting in the middle seat. Why I expected the middle seat to be empty in our row, I have no idea. I didn’t make a scene, but I did feel sorry for Tim. It wasn’t my finest hour. The seat (we had upgraded to an exit row) was actually fine, and the flight to Denver was easy enough. We made it through customs, retrieved the car, and made arrived home in one piece.

Our Route - Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment