Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Scary Drive Back to Colorado

Instead of spending four nights on the road on our way back to Colorado, we decided to make a mad dash (for us!) towards home. We wanted to avoid spending time around other people and try to stay as safe as we could.

We made it as far as St. George, Utah, the first night and Grand Junction, Colorado, the second. Traffic was fairly light, and the weather was good. Tim and I took turns driving, and Kitty took turns sleeping on our laps.

The First Part of the Drive Was Easy for Everyone

The weather began to change shortly after leaving Grand Junction. Traveling on I-70 over the Rockies in the winter is always a gamble, and today was not our day. It started snowing, and an accident slowed the traffic way down. Visibility was deteriorating.

Freezing fog soon reduced visibility to almost zero, and Tim could stay in our lane only by following the red tail lights of the car in front of him. He did a masterful job of driving, but I don’t remember the last time I had been so scared. I think I held my breath the whole way and didn’t calm down until we had descended the mountains.

A Scary Drive (And I Didn't Photograph the Worst Part!)

Pulling into our garage an hour or so later was the best feeling in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment