Sunday, August 25, 2019

Adjusting to Life "Off-the-Road"

Tim attended his high school reunion in June and began volunteering twice a week at the Larimer Humane Society in August. 

I never quite found a niche for myself.  As someone once said, travel feeds my soul, and it’s probably my one and only hobby.  Although I’ve been stationary in the past, I’ve spent the vast majority of my retirement traveling.  I love the excitement of seeing new, and old, things and waking up to new adventures every day or so.  I’ve never developed other hobbies and have not yet found friends in Loveland.  Frankly, I was at a loss as to how I was going to spend my day.  I still haven’t quite figured it out.

I did enjoy having time to read at leisure once more, and it was fun to be able to spend time in libraries.  Although I still love my Kindle, I could now hold a real book in my hand.  Before the year was over, I had read 38 books.

I also occupied some of my time with cooking again.  I’m not sure how, but Tim discovered the MIND diet, a cross between the Mediterranean and DASH diets.  I quickly jumped on the bandwagon, learning everything about its guidelines and following it to the letter (I can be a bit compulsive about things from time to time!).  We purchased an Instant Pot and enjoyed experimenting with all that it could do.  We became believers!  For the first time in way too long, we began to eat a healthy diet, and I really enjoyed cooking.

Cooking with the MIND Diet

Our Kitty didn’t seem to have much trouble adjusting to life in the condo. Although she missed going outside to eat grass, she contented herself with fresh air on the balcony.  Still, her favorite spot continued to be Tim’s lap.

Kitty's Favorite Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment